The announcement came on February 6, 2020.
With one prepared statement, the Soo Greyhounds ignited excitement within the City of Sault Ste. Marie and among it’s faithful and boisterous fanbase like they haven’t seen in 27 years.
To be sure they have exemplified sustained success as a Program by achieving four division championships in five years and a Hamilton Spectator Trophy to go along with it, but this was different.
The Soo Greyhounds were throwing their hat in the ring for the 2021 Memorial Cup Presented by Kia.
Team President Tim Lukenda made the announcement that day, and it was the start of a detailed, methodical and thorough process that brought members of the organization together with City of Sault Ste. Marie staff and Brooks Marketing Resources to put together their presentation and plan to be the successful host city.
At the time, there appeared to be only one obstacle in their way: the Oshawa Generals.
The Eastern Conference club was the lone other organization that had submitted their intentions to vie to be the host City along with the Soo.
But who would have known at the time there was another ‘elephant’ in the room.
After the Ontario Hockey League’s 2019-20 was postponed and then ultimately cancelled when the Covid-19 pandemic began, the waiting game on if, and where, the Memorial Cup would be hosted in May of 2021 began.
Hours, days and months and passed.
And while hard work and determination to find a safe, responsible and viable path to getting players back on the ice and to host the National Championship continued by teams, the OHL and CHL, the hopes melted away this past Tuesday when the announcement was made that the 2021 Memorial Cup Presented by Kia was cancelled.
It was disappointing, but to many it was inevitable considering the unusual times our league, province, country and the world are living in.
Immediately Mr. Lukenda re-lit the candle of hope by announcing that the Greyhounds are ‘absolutely committed’ to bid for the prestigeous tournament in the future.
And today we here at soogreyhounds.com look to ignite that hope and excitement with you by sharing part of what would have been part of the team’s presentation with you.
Enjoy this short video compiled by Brooks Marketing Resources. It’s about the Soo, the Greyhounds and why ‘We Were Ready’!
• Lukenda ‘absolutely committed’ to bid for future Memorial Cup (Apr. 14, 2021)
• CHL announces cancellation of the Memorial Cup (Apr. 13, 2021)
• Lukenda: Staging Cup ‘might be difficult’ (Feb. 21, 2021)
• Cup presentations won’t be in person (Sept. 9, 2020)
• City council backs Memorial Cup bid (Aug. 10, 2020)
• Memorial Cup bid gets some help while Gardens gets some upgrades (Aug. 10, 2020)
• Oshawa Generals and Soo Greyhounds bid to host 2021 Memorial Cup Presented by Kia (Feb. 20, 2020)
• Greyhounds looking to host 2021 Memorial Cup (Feb. 6, 2020)
• Greyhounds to submit bid to host 2021 Memorial Cup presented by Kia (Feb. 2, 2020)