Toronto, Ont. – In the midst of what’s been an unprecedented season in the hockey world, the Ontario Hockey League is busily preparing for one of the biggest days on its calendar – the 2020 OHL Priority Selection Presented by Real Canadian Superstore, which is currently scheduled to take place on Saturday April 4th beginning at 9:00am.
The annual Priority Selection is one of the highlights of the season as 300 players join OHL member team organizations, striving to grow their game while pursuing their academic endeavours in the world’s premier development League. In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s Priority Selection will be held entirely online, adhering to all government and public health physical distancing guidelines at both the League and member team levels. This year’s unique approach to a very special day will be conducted in the interest of ensuring the health and safety of prospects, their families as well as OHL member team and League personnel.
The League has reached out to prospects and their families to both explain the process and the program, and to remind them of the March 28, 2020 emergency order in Ontario prohibiting organized public gatherings and social gatherings of more than five people. Teams in Pennsylvania and Michigan are also following public health recommendations of local, state and federal governments.
All member teams have been advised of the guidelines and rules of the process including:
- League and member team staff cannot work from the premise of their hockey offices or arenas. All gatherings must adhere to the emergency order issued by the Ontario Government on March 28 prohibiting public or social gatherings of more than five people.
- All self-isolating or quarantined participants must respect those guidelines
- Proper protocols must be in place including: access to hand sanitizers, hand-washing facilities, etc.
- League staff, including Commissioner David Branch, will be working remotely and respecting the established health guidelines.
- The 2020 OHL Priority Selection will be conducted entirely online. In addition, the first three rounds of the event will be streamed on the OHL’s YouTube channel with player highlight footage and live updates. The League will also be gathering content throughout the event, engaging draftees, general managers and OHL Central Scouting personnel on virtual platforms.
Players, families and fans are invited to follow the first three rounds of the 2020 OHL Priority Selection streaming live on the OHL’s YouTube channel.
Follow the Ontario Hockey League on Twitter (@OHLHockey), Instagram (@ohlofficial), Facebook (@OHLHockey) and YouTube (@ontariohockeyleagueofficial) for complete up to the minute coverage of the 2020 OHL Online Priority Selection Presented by Real Canadian Superstore.