Billet Family Application
Thank-you for expressing an interest in the Soo Greyhounds Hockey Club Billet Program.
Let me give you some basic information:
• The Greyhounds place hockey players with host families, or ‘billet’ families, as many organizations call them. Billet is a military term that refers to the assignment of housing. Without host or ‘billet’ families the hockey club would be hard pressed to succeed. These local families open up their homes allowing our players to join their families.
• Our players are within the ages of 15-21, with the majority of them being 16 to 18 years old. They will come to Sault Ste. Marie from all over Ontario, as well as from the United States or Europe to play with our team. Being so young and so far from home, the players will need a very stable home environment during their stay in the Soo. It is our commitment to our players and their parents to provide them with a good home.
• The players will arrive in late August and will be here until Mid-May, at the latest. At Christmas, they are typically given a one-week break to go home and spend time with their families. Many times their families will come to visit during the season. It is at your discretion as to whether you want to open your home to your player’s family, or other guests.
• We have team guidelines and policies that the players must abide by while with our organization, and we expect our host families to enforce these team rules. Upon being accepted as a ‘Billet Family’ we give out the Billet Handbook which outlines rules and conduct for all players.
• Our goal is for our players to have a home away from home, continue their education and be good citizens on top of their on-ice responsibilities.
• Players will have daily practice. Some players will have their own transportation, but transportation to school and practice is a detail that will be worked out with each player.
• We want our billet family program to be second to none. We will work to match each players’ personality and backgrounds with quality host homes. Furthermore, each potential billet family is carefully screened and presented with our team’s expectations of the host family. Personal visits may be done throughout the season to ensure that both player and host family are meeting those expectations and guidelines.
We thank-you for your enthusiasm and interest in our program.
Questions? Feel free to contact Gerry by phone at 705-574-0087 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in housing a player, please complete the online application below.